From: Burak Arslan <burak.arslan@××××××××××.tr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE nepomuk memory usage
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 10:54:56
1 On 12/27/13 08:50, Alexander Puchmayr wrote:
2 > On Freitag, 27. Dezember 2013, 00:42:06 Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >> What column in htop shows that number?
5 >>
6 >> top, htop, and all their friends do not display what most people assume
7 >> they display. Modern OSes (for more than a decade now) manage memory in
8 >> a way that makes it impossible to answer "how much memory is this app
9 >> using?"
10 >>
11 >> If you are looking at the VIRT column, just ignore it, that column is
12 >> practically useless for most rational viewings of {h,}top
13 > I know, the VIRT column shows the size of the virtual adress space of the
14 > process, and this has nothing to do with the real, physical amount of memory
15 > allocated.
16 >
17 > The RES column shows the resident memory, i.e. those pages actually in use and
18 > kept in memory, exclusive those pages swapped out. This column shows currently
19 > 1185M (after rebooting this morning)
24 I think the best way to measure how much memory a process is using is to
25 kill it and see how much memory is freed.