From: Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Report: Experience with f2fs
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 13:11:55
1 * Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> [150224 07:32]:
2 > On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 6:54 AM, Bob Wya <bob.mt.wya@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > I would always recommend a secure erase of an SSD - if you want a "fresh
4 > > start". That will mark all the NAND cells as clear of data. That will
5 > > benefit the longevity of your device / wear levelling.
6 >
7 > Not a bad idea, though if you're trimming your filesystem (and it
8 > supports this), that shouldn't be necessary, and of course a log-based
9 > filesystem like f2fs should promote excellent wear leveling
10 > automatically by design. Granted, that doesn't help you if an f2fs
11 > bug eats your data.
12
13 Can you explain why a log-based filesystem like f2fs would have any
14 impact on wear leveling?
15
16 As I understand it, wear leveling (and bad block replacement) occurs on
17 the SSD itself (in the Flash Translation Layer probably.)
18
19 Of course the quality of those algorithms vary with device and are
20 pretty much a black box.
21
22 Todd