From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Machine running before modem turned on - Network weirdness
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 19:24:33
1 On 26/07/2016 18:53, Andrew Lowe wrote:
2 > On 27/07/16 00:10, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> On 26/07/2016 18:01, Andrew Lowe wrote:
4 >>> Hi all,
5 >>> I can remember in the distant past that I had to have my modem
6 >>> turned on before the computer otherwise, I wouldn't get an IP address.
7 >>> Then something changed. One day I forgot to turn on the modem first. I
8 >>> turned the machine on then realised the modem wasn't on, I turned it,
9 >>> the modem, on and prepared to reboot the machine only to see an IP
10 >>> address appear.
11 >>>
12 >>> It appeared that dhcp was now periodically attempting to get an
13 >>> address whereas in the past, if on boot it didn't find one, that was it,
14 >>> it just gave up. It appears that my machine has now, for some reason
15 >>> reverted to "the olden days" of IP address allocation. No modem at boot,
16 >>> no IP address. Reboot the machine, with the modem continuing to run, and
17 >>> I get an IP address. When I have no IP address, I can run "dhcpcd
18 >>> restart" and I'll get one.
19 >>>
20 >>> Anyone got any idea as to what has changed? What should I be looking
21 >>> for to fiddle to get my preferred behaviour, modem/machine startup in
22 >>> any order and I'll get an IP address. Is there a dchp "polling time" or
23 >>> something similar that I need to set to get this running nicely again?
24 >>>
25 >>> Thoughts greatly appreciated,
26 >>> Andrew
27 >>>
28 >>
29 >> There's no single global default, that is set is whatever dhcp client
30 >> you are using. Which one is it?
33 > dhcpcd
37 Thanks. What's in your /etc/dhcpcd.conf and related network
38 configs/settings?