From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Allow work from home?
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 23:59:35
1 >> > I'm sorry, I meant can I lock down access to my web stuff so that a
2 >> > particular user can only come from a particular device (or from any
3 >> > device containing a key).
4 >>
5 > You can use apache client authentication with SSL certificates only. Of
6 > course you will need to create a self-signed CA, which you will use to create
7 > the web server public/private key pair and also sign each client's certificate
8 > and upload it along with your CA certificate to the user's browser. This
9 > explains the principle:
10 >
11 > http://wiki.cacert.org/HELP/9
14 > Ditto with the VPN connection - should you still want to use VPN.
17 Let me see if I'm following. I could create a certificate and point
18 the browser to it in config and configure my web server to require the
19 certificate for HTTP basic authentication? Can I require a
20 username/password along with the certificate? Can I require the
21 certificate only for certain users?
24 > If a user certificate is lost of feared compromised, you revoke it with your
25 > CA and upload the CRL to the server.
26 >
27 > However, this won't do away with XSS, or other similar attack vectors if the
28 > users are not careful with their browsing habits.
31 Can you give me an example?
34 > This won't resolve problems with lost laptops and the like either, so previous
35 > suggestions for disk encryption, or chromebooks apply, if this is a
36 > considerable risk with your users.
39 No sensitive data on the client systems. They're actually auto-wiped daily.
40
41 - Grant