From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE Activities
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 09:14:32
1 On Sunday 28 Dec 2014 07:19:22 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 28/12/2014 06:08, Gregory M. Turner wrote:
3 > > On Saturday 27 December 2014 09:43:47 Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 > >> Morning list,
5 > >>
6 > >> Is there a way to build KDE without its concept of Activities? I find it
7 > >> an unnecessary complication, which I never use. Any time I found myself
8 > >> wrestling with it by accident it's caused little other than anger and
9 > >> frustration.
10 > >>
11 > >> No doubt this is just as silly an idea as building KMail without its
12 > >> database, which also has caused considerable grief.
13 > >
14 > > +1
15 > >
16 > > Don't understand it. Don't want to. Really hate when I press the wrong
17 > > button, it does some crazy inscrutable bullshit, and I have to figure out
18 > > how to escape from it with my desktop intact.
19 > >
20 > > Probably I just want to check my email, or whatever, and all of a sudden,
21 > > it's like some ridiculous bridge troll is posing riddles to me and
22 > > threatening to blow up my desktop if I answer wrong.
23 > >
24 > > After quickly ducking this, I'm not optimistic. This is particularly
25 > > discouraging: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=91160
26 > >
27 > > Sounds an awful lot like the cashew/virtuoso/etc. If history is any
28 > > guide, they'll never change it, no matter how nicely we ask, nor how
29 > > carefully we construct the patches to make it optional.
30 >
31 > You can't build KDE without activities as far as I can tell, like a
32 > poster said in the link you provided it's a core feature much like tabs
33 > in Firefox. You can't "just remove that code" and still have stuff work.
34 >
35 > What you can do is make Activities go away and never impinge on your
36 > life, that's what I do. I've had KDE here for years and like you never
37 > grokked what it even is when it first hit early in 4.x. I'm a grumpy old
38 > far, I like my 6 virtual desktops in 2 rows of three, I like to launch
39 > the apps myself I known I'm going to use now, and I like global session
40 > management for apps I always use all the time (like Konsole). I don't
41 > like Activities.
42 >
43 > I made them go away and have been using the same KDE config ever since
44 > quite happily. IIRC all it really took was to remove the icon[1] from
45 > the panel, and maybe disable some keyboard shortcuts. Activities hasn't
46 > appeared here for years now, I'd forgotten all about them till this
47 > thread showed up :-)
50 > Anyway, hope this helps
53 > [1] The icon is the one with three small overlapping circles IIRC
56 I seem to recall that Fedora introduced some button/patch/whatever to remove
57 or at least hide the desktop toolkit that provides Activities. I don't know
58 if this was back when, or it is still current.
59
60 I can see a use case for Activities, when the user undertakes consistently
61 repetitive tasks which involve the same tools, files and widgets, in the same
62 virtual desktop configuration. In my case the only applications that I use
63 reliably are a multi-tabbed terminal and a mail client. Everything else
64 pretty much 'depends' and invariably I would use it in parallel with my
65 terminal, rather than instead of.
66
67 I can see though that someone more disciplined than me, who thinks along the
68 lines of one task at a time, would probably have use for dekstop Activities.
69
70 I have commented before about the disappointment that the KDE4 application
71 design has been for me, in terms of KDEPIM. Since I don't use the KDE desktop
72 on my main machine, things like activities don't bother me.
75 Regards,
76 Mick