From: "Róbert Čerňanský" <openhs@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Systemd as drop-in replacement for udev?
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 21:07:05
1 Hello all,
2
3 I am currently updating my system and Portage wants to replace udev
4 (204) with systemd (208). My question is (hopefully) simple:
5
6 Can I use systemd as drop-in replacement for udev? In other words, can
7 I pretend that systemd is udev and continue using OpenRC as with udev
8 itself? I would then apply just udev 204 to 208 update instructions
9 (http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Udev/upgrade).
10
11 I am using WindowMaker and systemd was pulled in by
12 gnome-settings-daemon which in turn was pulled in by gdm. I would like
13 to stick with gdm.
14
15 Usually I feel pretty comfortable replacing one package with another if
16 Portage wants so (e.g. because they block each other) but in this case I
17 want to be extra careful. I did not find a clear answer to this.
18 Usually people either migrate fully to systemd (replacing openrc) or
19 stays with udev + openrc.
20
21 Regards,
22 Robert