From: Kris Kerwin <kkerwin@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Printer Sharing with Samba
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 02:33:37
1 Hi folks!
2
3 I have a quick question.
4
5 I'm a college student. I share my printer with my roommate. We have
6 separate computers; he uses Windows XP, and I Gentoo. Together, we're
7 behind our school's router which dynamically assigns us both IP's.
8
9 Currently, in order to share our printer, we simply unplug it from one
10 another's computers. However, we would like to be able to share it
11 over the network instead to make life easier for the both of us.
12 However, there are a few problems that I'm foreseeing.
13
14 First off, I have a laptop with only one ethernet port, so setting up
15 an ad hoc network between us is out of the question. Also, my school
16 has a "one port - one computer" rule that prohibits routers.
17
18 Second, since we're both behind a DHCPd server, we both have dynamic
19 IPs. There's no easy way to point his computer to the right server if
20 it has a dynamic IP.
21
22 Third, since we're both behind a router, using something like DynDNS
23 to provide a static contact despite the dynamic IP won't work either.
24
25 So, I guess what I'm wondering is if there's any way to make this
26 work, or if I'm SOL?
27
28 Thank you much for your help.
29