From: "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Wireless WPA and ipw2200 problems
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 09:58:02
1 I'll throw two chickens in one pot.
2
3 I have recently installed ubuntu on another partition in the mainly
4 gentoo gateway laptop I've been running for over a year with great
5 success. I have never had any wireless problems, using the ipw2200
6 centrino. I've not changed kernels for a long while, still running
7 2.5.15 something. Never a hiccough.
8
9 Then, after installing ubuntu, accessing a few access points, suddenly
10 the module for ipw2200 won't install consistently, and I get an error,
11 the most recent error was "-1" but there was another number earlier.
12
13 Well, at school today, confounding all this, the wireless access
14 points have now been set up with WPA keys. Trying WEP keys with
15 Ubuntu was unsuccessful, after failling w/ gentoo altogether. Then
16 when trying to run "/etc/init.d/net.eth0 start" again, as I've been
17 doing, there is no happiness, and I tracked down this failure to load
18 the module. After a couple of tried, the module did, I think load,
19 but because of the WPA setup, I cannot figure out how to access the
20 net. Back to ubuntu, back to gentoo---again module problems. These
21 are firmware problems, failture to load firmware, not the ipw2200
22 module, sorry.
23
24 Ubuntu too, I cannot figure out how to use the WPA key.
25
26 Now I'm at a wifi access point cafe, and cannot get gentoo to work at
27 all, even with this unsecured site. Ubuntu does work.
28
29 So my questions are how to get WPA to work, with both, and what the
30 heck is going on with the firmware?
31
32 I suspect that ubuntu loads firmware that is incompatible with gentoo.
33
34 Thanks for any help with any of the above.
35
36 Alan Davis
39 Alan Davis, Kagman High School, Saipan lngndvs@×××××.com 1-670-256-2043
40
41 I consider that the golden rule requires that if I like a program I
42 must share it with other people who like it.
43 --------Richard Stallman
44 --
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list