From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] I finally ditched acroread
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 00:32:34
1 For the past several years, I've had to keep acroread installed on one
2 of my desktop machines because I occasionally need to use the "print
3 current view" feature to print a portion of a page of a PDF document
4 (usually a section of a sechematic or a table out of a data sheet).
5 Acroread is only available as a 32-bit binary and it required that
6 _89_ packages be built with a 32-bit ABI use flag. [There are various
7 other reasons to dislike acroread, but that's the one the really
8 bugged me...]
9
10 When I noticed that the latest versions of Qoppa's PDFStudio has added
11 the "print current view" feature, I happily coughed up the $36 to
12 upgrade.
13
14 Emerge is now busy rebuilding those 89 packages without the 32-bit ABI
15 use flags.
18 Grant