From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Time to move on?
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 20:23:40
1 On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 6:17 PM, Mike Diehl <mdiehl@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Ok now, I'm getting fed up with all of the breakage that I've seen in Gentoo
3 > in the last few months.
6 Understood and personally felt.
7
8 <SNIP>
9 >
10 > emerge -C mktemp
13 Generally a *very* bad move unless you are *absolutely* sure that what
14 you are removing is not needed to keep the system working.
15
16 <SNIP>
17 >
18 > Has Gentoo become such a moving target that it's no longer suitable for
19 > normal, every day, usage?
20
21 OK, I'm a putz who has used Gentoo now for (I think) 8-9 years. I'm
22 not a developer, a programmer or a sys admin. Keep that in mind.
23
24 Gentoo goes through phases of relative stability interrupted by
25 periods of time where major problems dominate. (As seen by users, not
26 the Lords of Gentoo (LoG)) Personally I think we're in one of those
27 unfortunate periods of time where there is a relatively high number of
28 issues. I'm seeing it on all my machines. It's taking far more of my
29 time to deal with this than I wish it would.
30
31 1) ntp-update problems at boot time.
32 2) emerge -DuN world building lots of packages that are already on the
33 system but the LoG has apparently changed flags so emerge wants to
34 rebuild them.
35 3) New and unclear (to me) messages about portage flag overrides
36 caused by overlays I've been using for a while.
37
38 Am I frustrated like you? Yep. Very much so. Am I considering using
39 something else? Quite a few thoughts. Do I think there's a better
40 distro? Not that I know of.
41
42 My workload:
43