From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Would constant max CPU speed cause lockups?
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2021 17:18:14
1 A few years ago, I cheaped out and bought a low-powered Atom desktop
2 with 8 gigs of RAM. Looking back, that was a mistake. It would default
3 to 480p or at best 720p on Youtube. But I wrote a nifty bash script
4 that manually put the CPU into "userspace" mode, and selected the
5 maximum available CPU speed. I finally got Youtube with steady playback
6 at 1080p... YAY! I'd leave it at max speed during my waking hours, and
7 drop it to min speed at night before going to bed.
8
9 I saw the occasional mysterious lockups as I mentioned in recent
10 threads. I wonder if pushing the CPU to max speed most of the day would
11 cause overheating and lockups. I'm leaving my current, more powerfull,
12 machine in "conservative" mode.
13
14 Should I stay in conservative mode? Or forget about speed control
15 entirely, and let "Intel Speed Step" handle things for me? Also, is
16 there a way to enable CPU throttling based on temperature?
19 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
20 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications