From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: pambase/shadow warning
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 12:51:51
1 On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 13:22:20 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2
3 > > I'll run the update again today, paying more attention, and see what
4 > > happens.
5 >
6 > What happened is it broke again, with no obvious signs of the cause.
7 > conf-update reported only trivial changes to three files.
8
9 I've just tried it on my netbook and the same happened, but I think I'm
10 closer to the cause. The three files in /etc/pam.d are login, passwd and
11 su. After updating, there were ._cfg* versions of these files, but no
12 originals, so conf-update just deleted them. It turns out these were
13 owned by shadow but now belong to pambase. I suspect that pambase
14 installed them as ._cfg versions, because the others already existed,
15 then shadow removed the originals as they were no longer part of the
16 package.
17
18 Whether this is a bug in portage, the ebuilds or conf-update is open to
19 debate, but conf-update ought to handle the situation better. I'll file a
20 bug later if no one beats me to it.
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 Only an idiot actually READS taglines.