From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev or Gentoo issue?
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 03:38:35
1 On 14/05/14 03:18, Grant wrote:
2 >>> I'm having a problem starting the USB network interfaces properly on
3 >>> one of my systems. I brought the problem to the udev list and they're
4 >>> indicating that it's a Gentoo problem:
5 >>>
6 >>> https://www.mail-archive.com/systemd-devel@×××××××××××××××××.org/msg18840.html
7 >>>
8 >>> Should I file a bug?
9 >>>
10 >>> - Grant
11 >>>
12 >> Like pointed out in the upstream thread, it's either wrongly built
13 >> net-misc/dhcpcd (should be with USE="udev")
14 >> and if not using dhcpcd, it might be a bug in net-misc/netifrc's
15 >> /etc/init.d/net.lo depend() { } section --
16 >> it's possible it's missing dependency that forces /etc/init.d/udev start
17 >> first, specially if OpenRC is using parallel
18 >> startup
19 >>
20 >> So not really a udev bug, rather a misconfiguration in dhcpcd USE flags
21 >> OR bug in dependencies of netifrc's net.lo script
22 >
23 > I'm starting two interfaces, one that uses dhcpcd and one that does
24 > not. Both fail to start in the default runlevel until they are
25 > hotplugged later. I do have dhcpcd built with USE=udev. The string
26 > "udev" does not occur in /etc/init.d/net.lo so maybe that's the
27 > problem? Please confirm that I should file a Gentoo bug for this.
28 >
29 > - Grant
32 Try adding 'after udev' to net.lo's depend() { } section and see if that
33 helps, if it does, file a bug
34 saying so.
35 It was more of an educated guess than 100% accurate knowledge. I can't
36 think of an another
37 way to force netifrc to behave, since it's not coded in C, and it can't
38 link to libudev, so...
39
40 However since you say *both*, even the one with dhcpcd fail to start,
41 before filing that bug,
42 see if disabling netifrc hotplugging works:
43
44 # ln -s /dev/null /etc/udev/rules.d/90-network.rules
45
46 And if that helps, then file a bug saying so.
47
48 One or the another, bug is propably needed in anycase.