From: Andrew Udvare <audvare@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nvidia driver surprise
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2018 23:01:20
1 > On 2018-10-28, at 10:42, Davyd McColl <davydm@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Or perhaps go team red. Personally, I've had enough of team green's drivers. My 660ti is still working fine, but if it dies, I think I'm going red. Not saying the grass is 100% greener there (heh) but at least you can't be held hostage with binary blobs. And they're cheaper. /2c
4 >
5 > -d
6
7 We're not in good shape on either side here. I would use AMD if they had better performance on Linux with the open source driver.
8
9 In terms of the long term, I don't see either open source driver supporting every device for as long as the drivers are supported. At some point there will probably be a split and then eventually those legacy drivers will be removed from the kernel due to lack of maintainers.
10
11 Andrew