From: "Timothy A. Holmes" <tholmes@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Reconstructing a Gentoo Installer Computer
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 14:07:31
1 > On Wed, 31 May 2006 08:29:49 -0400, Timothy A. Holmes wrote:
2 >
3 > > Raymond - the dev-lang/php use flag is there to pull in the PHP
4 stuff as
5 > > BASE requires it.
6 >
7 > dev-lang/php is not a valid USE flag, php is.
8 >
9 > If a program installed via portage requires php, portage will install
10 it
11 > as a dependency of that program. USE flags only affect optional
12 > dependencies, such as when a program can be built with or without php
13 > support.
14 >
15 > You really should read the USE flag documentation before messing with
16 > them too much. Along with the flexibility it brings, Gentoo gives you
17 a
18 > great deal of power to totally fsck your system by fiddling with
19 things
20 > you don't understand.
21 >
22 > One would have thought that after destroying five systems in this way,
23 > you would have resorted to the documentation.
24 >
25 > Check /usr/portage/profiles/use.*desc for descriptions of all USE
26 flags
27 > and 'emerge --info' to see which are in effect on your system.
28 >
29 > Finally, don't change to many at once, and keep track of what you have
30 > done. that way, if things do go wrong, you can retrace your steps and
31 > find the cause (and solution).
34 > --
35 > Neil Bothwick
36 >
37 > Jimmy Hoffa is buried here ------> X
38 [Timothy A. Holmes]
39
40 Neil and others:
41
42 Thanks for the input, you are correct, I accidentally put a package
43 specification into the original post rather than the appropriate use
44 flag -- my goof
45
46 The USE line that I want should look more like:
47
48 USE="php session cli gd pear apache2 mysql ssl png jpeg gif"
49
50 This USE Specification comes from the WIKI article about the
51 installation of Snort and BASE found at:
52
53 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Setup_BASE_with_Apache,_Snort,_and_PostgreS
54 QL
55
56 With two slight changes
59 1. I use MySQL rather than postgreSQL
60 2. I am not using hardened sources or hardened php
61
62 I am rapidly getting the idea that either leaving the system alone, or
63 just wiping it out and starting over is going to be preferable to trying
64 to repair this one, since no one can seem to tell me if it can be done.
65 My original thought was to simply change the use flags to those that I
66 wanted, and emerge -e world, apparently, this is not correct?
67
68 As far as portage documentation, I have not been able to find a wiki
69 article or other document that indicates how to change from a system
70 created by the installer disk to one that is personally optimized. If
71 there is such a document, I will be most happy to read it, as it would
72 really simplify things.
73
74 I do understand that there is significant power in the USE flags, and
75 after having destroyed 5 systems, I came to the group asking for help to
76 avoid making a similar mistake again.
77
78 The portage docs that I have seen so far (specifically those in the
79 gentoo handbook), do not SEEM (that I have found) to cover this type of
80 eventuality, but rather provide a general guide line for its use.
81 Again, If I have missed the appropriate doc someplace, please let me
82 know.
85 To answer Raymonds question specifically, BASE is the web interface and
86 reporting engine that I use for the SNORT IDS, and it is the reason that
87 php and mysql and apache2 are in the list
90 I will freely admit that my understanding of portage and the USE flags
91 is somewhat limited, and that is part of the reason that I came to the
92 group for help rather than just blindly plunging ahead as I did
93 previously.
94
95 I have read the wiki document about the USE flags, and I refer to that
96 chart routinely as I am trying to construct these statements.
97
98 http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/use-index.xml
99
100 This is the document that I have been using, if there is a better one
101 available on the web, I am quite open to using it, if someone can please
102 send me a link.
103
104 Thank you all for your time and your help - -I greatly appreciate it
105
106 TIM
109 Timothy A. Holmes
110 IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher
111
112 Medina Christian Academy
113 A Higher Standard...
114