From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] EAPI packages
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 15:19:40
1 On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 11:02 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > My workstation updates on a cron job every day at 6PM. I check my email in the
4 > morning to see if it ran into any trouble, correct whatever it complained
5 > about, and let it try again the next evening.
8 I think you're better-off building binary packages at night and
9 installing them during the day. I'm not really keen on having Portage
10 do whatever it wants. It doesn't happen all that often but sometimes
11 I end up with a proposed downgrade that I'd prefer that it not do.
12
13 I can't tell you who I stole this script from (one of the lists):
14
15 #!/bin/sh
16
17 LIST=$(mktemp);
18
19 emerge -puD --changed-use --color=n --columns --quiet=y --changed-deps
20 --with-bdeps=n world | awk '{print $2}' > ${LIST}
21
22 for PACKAGE in $(cat ${LIST});
23 do
24 printf "Building binary package for ${PACKAGE}... "
25 emerge -uN --quiet-build --quiet=y --buildpkgonly ${PACKAGE};
26 if [[ $? -eq 0 ]];
27 then
28 echo "ok";
29 else
30 echo "failed";
31 fi
32 done
33
34 It can only get one level deep when there are dependencies. So, if
35 you have a KDE update you'll still do a lot of building during the
36 day. But, at least you won't be building kdelibs. And this is really
37 nice when chromium comes along with an update.
40 Rich