From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] app-admin/mcelog daily cronjob?
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 16:31:07
1 On 16/04/2014 18:14, Stroller wrote:
2 >
3 > On Wed, 16 April 2014, at 4:52 pm, Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> There is no such indication in that reply. That is up to you to decide.
6 >
7 > Well, I posted here looking for useful answers and perhaps a full explanation (like, of how this is needed beyond the system logger), not vapid one-liners.
8 >
9 > I guess I'll just file a vapid-one bug that my Gentoo system is generating these cron messages, rather than first trying to come to a understanding of the cause. Would that make the developers' lives easier?
10 >
11 > Stroller.
18 mce is Machine Check Exception; it's a hardware trickery that watches
19 for and records faults in hardware.
20
21 Consider something like Dell's fancy monitoring softwares, the results
22 don't magically appear in syslog - you use Dell's client app to query
23 the hardware, figure out what the bits means then you can look-see what
24 is going on. mcelog is sort of in the same class of software, but it's a
25 generic interface.
26
27 You don't *have* to use it, the machines will run just fine without it.
28 You will lack some monitoring though that could be useful - that's your
29 call.
30
31 As for the cron job files, by all means file a bug. At a minimum you'll
32 get an answer as to what the dev thinks about that deprecation status.
35 Alan McKinnon
36 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com