From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Please help me get my printer working again.
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2014 18:26:13
1 Hi, Dale.
2
3 On Sun, Jun 01, 2014 at 09:57:23AM -0500, Dale wrote:
4 > Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5 > > Hi, Gentoo.
6
7 > > My printer used to work. According to CUPS, its last succesful print
8 > > was in February. (Incidentally, I used to have an up-to-date system, but
9 > > that went when I screwed it up after Gentoo made Gnome-3 stable and I
10 > > tried to switch out of Gnome. My last emerge --sync was around the same
11 > > time.)
12
13 > > When I tried to print a *.pdf from evince, I got an error message saying
14 > > /path/to/foomatic-rip didn't exist. (Sorry, I can't reproduce the exact
15 > > error message any more). It would seem there has been a change from
16 > > foomatic filters to cups-filters (which I have installed) at some stage.
17
18 > > But I don't recall this change, and I can't find any docs about how to
19 > > configure printing to use cups-filters. When I go through the "Modify
20 > > printer" sequence in http://localhost:631, and try to change the filter,
21 > > I just get presented with a long list of foomatic filters.
22
23 > > I've been at this stage for some while now, dreading the impending hours
24 > > and hours of web searching. Any tips people can give me to cut this
25 > > miserable process short will be most warmly received.
26
27 > > By the way, what has happened to the helpful documentation which used to
28 > > be at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en? Most of it seems to have
29 > > disappeared. There used to be a helpful doc on setting up a printer,
30 > > but that has gone. (I'm lucky enough to be able to read the German
31 > > translations, which (largely, at least) still exist, but they're
32 > > somewhat out of date).
35 > When I run into this issue, I delete the printer and add it back. For
36 > some reason, that has always fixed my issues. It seems that when CUPS
37 > gets upgraded, it needs the printers reconfigured from scratch.
38
39 > Hope that helps.
40
41 Well it did, and it didn't. I deleted then added the printer as you
42 suggested. Nothing. But somehow, that brought me to consider the error
43 message I reported above. So I emerged foomatic-filters (which, somehow,
44 I'd removed in February), and now printing works, at least for files.pdf.
45
46 So, thanks for the email, it brought me back to sanity.
47
48 > Dale
49
53 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).