From: Jeff Cranmer <jeff@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to get raid
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 01:15:19
1 I was using a hardware-based 'fakeRAID'. It used to work on my old
2 OpenSuse install, but that broke and I installed gentoo instead. I
3 wasn't able to get that to work, and then the motherboard died, so I
4 built a new system and reused the 3-drive RAID5 array.
5 >
6 > While in the first case you see all individual disks with their partitions and
7 > a /dev/mdX entry that actually contains the raid failsystem, the second one
8 > shows only a /dev/sdX holding the final raid drive.
9 >
10 > Additionally, for the hardware based raid, you'll need a driver for the
11 > controller that supports the raid5. I think this is the configuration you're
12 > trying to run, since you mentioned that you created your raid in the RAID
13 > BIOS.
14 >
15 > I'm not sure (I've never tried this) whether there is a driver for Linux
16 > supporting raid modes on board-embedded HW raid controllers.
17 >
18 > Alex