From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Seagate ST8000NM0065 PMR or SMR plus NAS SAS SATA question
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 06:54:49
1 Howdy,
2
3 I found a deal.  It's open box but it's a good price.  I've googled to
4 try to find out if it is PMR or SMR but I can't find anything that says
5 one way or another.  I did find where it says it has a sustained
6 throughput of 249MB/Sec which makes me think it is PMR, plus it is a
7 NAS/SAS drive.  Does anyone know for sure if it is a PMR drive?  It's a
8 good price at $150 but I'd like to avoid a SMR drive if at all possible.
9
10 Also, I looked at the connector and it looks like a regular SATA
11 connector for the data and power.  However, it does say it is a SAS
12 drive.  I thought SAS had a different connector but maybe I'm wrong
13 about that.  These SAS drives will connect to a regular SATA connector
14 right?  I'm thinking it will but don't need a $150 doorstop.  :/
15
16 Thanks to anyone who can share some info.  Let's hope that drive isn't
17 gone before I can find out if it works or not.
18
19 Dale
20