From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reconstructing a Gentoo Installer Computer
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 23:41:46
1 On 5/31/06, Timothy A. Holmes <tholmes@×××××××××.net> wrote:
5 > > -----Original Message-----
6 > > From: Neil Bothwick [mailto:neil@××××××××××.uk]
7 > > Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 11:57 AM
8 > > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
9 > > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reconstructing a Gentoo Installer Computer
10 > >
11 > > On Wed, 31 May 2006 10:46:18 -0400, Timothy A. Holmes wrote:
12 > >
13 > > > I was hoping to
14 > > > rescue the additional time for the snort install etc by being able
16 > > > just recompile stuff rather than have to start over from the
17 > beginning,
18 > > > the system is currently running, so I may just end up putting off
19 > the
20 > > > rebuild till this summer when I have a bit more time -- I was hoping
22 > > > be able to change the use flags, build a new kernel and be done with
23 > it,
24 > > > but that doesn't look to be the case
25 > >
26 > > It should be the case. it's not much different from doing a stage 3
27 > > install then changing USE flags etc. I've done that with no problems.
28 > > What went wrong when you tried this before, or was it a case of
29 > changing
30 > > too much at once so you couldn't find the source of the problem?
31 > >
32 > > However, Michael's point about starting afresh with a hardened setup
33 > is a
34 > > good one. It sounds much safer for a security box.
37 > > --
38 > > Neil Bothwick
39 > >
40 > > "getting performance from an Amiga is like getting water from a
41 > sponge,
42 > > getting performance from Windows is like getting blood from a stone -
43 > > after banging my head against the stone several times I got some
44 > blood"
45 > > Author of Lightwave 3D
46 > [Timothy A. Holmes]
47 >
48 > Neil:
49 >
50 > the problem before was an incomplete understanding of how the USE Flags
51 > worked, and a mis-understanding of some advice that I was given. The
52 > procedure that I used last time was:
53 >
54 > rebuild the kernel
55 > Set use to USE="-*"
56 > Emerge -e world
59 I broke my system this way once...
60
61 > That procedure with the USE flags is what killed me. What I should have
62 > done -- it now appears was to set use to blank (or comment it out) and
63 > allow it to use the base flags from the profile. But trying to
64 > recompile from base with all use flags specifically excluded is what
65 > began to break stuff
66
67 When you leave the USE empty or commented, portage gets default set to
68 compile, this set has options that work most of the time. But when you
69 set it to "-*", it simply disable all optional (and sometimes most
70 necessary) stuff for all packages.
71
72 So, unless you have the time to take a full "emerge -epv" list, join
73 it with a "emerge -epv system", put "-*" at USE and start setting each
74 and every package at package.use or putting global configs at the USE
75 flag, its not a good way to do it (but you would get a super fine
76 tuned gentoo system, after a few days of configuration and a few weeks
77 of debuging like: "why this package don't work, oh, it was because
78 that other package needed that flag"), you should leave it empty and
79 add/remove flags after the system is up and after knowing exactly what
80 you'll be doying with that package.
81
82 Gentoo is so flexible that it becomes a little difficult to configure
83 (and I mean fine tunning at maximum) sometimes. For my desktops, I
84 just leave USE empty.
87 Daniel da Veiga
88 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
94 --