From: jarry@×××.net
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Re: [gentoo-user] Protecting my server against an individual
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 11:06:55
1 Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name> wrote:
2
3 > > you're running a firewall of some kind (and you'd be crazy not to for
4 > > any publically accessible box),
5 >
6 > Actually, I'd disagree. If only the necessary publicly accessible
7 > services
8 > are running on a box, what good should a "firewal" (I suppose you mean
9 > packet filter, like iptables) do? The only useful measure I can think
10 > about, is to do rate limiting. But what else?
11
12 Just to name a few:
13 -permitting certain services for certain hosts (ip/mac based)
14 -time/cpu-load based restriction on certain services
15 -filtering malformed/fragmented packets
16 -implementing port-knocking feature
17 -statistical evaluation of traffic (ip/protocol/service based)
18 etc.
19
20 All of the above mentioned is probably possible to do using
21 different method, but why not use iptables for it?
22
23 Jarry
28 Echte DSL-Flatrate dauerhaft für 0,- Euro*!
29 "Feel free" mit GMX DSL! http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl
30 --
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list