From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Email clients - what can replace Evolution?
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 01:35:48
1 On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 14:23 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > As I said in a response a few minutes ago the emerge -e world,
4 > although not completely done, appears to have fixed it. Evolution is
5 > now running fine.
6 >
7 > I will wait for the emerge -e world to finish up tonight and ensure
8 > it's still working.
9 >
10 > We may never know exactly what caused the problem I suspect.
11
12 if you want to know what broke it, then you should take the time to
13 compile in some debugging symbols (just in evolution and associated
14 libs, not the entire world!) This would have been quicker than
15 rebuilding absolutely everything!
16
17 You obviously have time, as you just did an emerge -e world ;)
18 Unfortunately I don't think you'll be better off blindly fixing it -
19 what if it happens again? What if a similar thing happens to a
20 different package? Just switching mail-clients wont help - any package
21 is potentially open to crashing. Take the time now to find out why, and
22 save yourself time in the future, IMHO :)
23
24 but glad it's working again.
25
26 cya,
30 Misfortunes arrive on wings and leave on foot.
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list