From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT hardware ?] Can ram spec be tracked to different mobos
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 23:39:25
1 Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Sonntag 01 März 2009, Harry Putnam wrote:
4 >> Anyone know if the ram sticks installed in one mobo can be tracked to
5 >> see what other mobo's it will work in.
6 >>
7 >> I'm thinking switching out a mobo and hate to loose the 3GB ram
8 >> installed in it. I don't have the spec to hand due to one machine
9 >> being shut down but do have record of it on that machine when I boot
10 >> it.
11 >>
12 >> You'd think some kind of cross reference like that would be around
13 >> since ram is one of the more expensive parts of a setup.
16 > a) vendors website
17 > b) vendors website
18
19 So, are you thinking the vendor website will have some kind of cross
20 reference showing all the motherboards a particular stick of ram will
21 work on? I'm not finding anything like that, of course had prowled
22 the vendors website before posting (http://www.corsair.com/)
23
24 > c) modprobe i2c-dev, eeprom, ./decode-dimms.pl
25
26 This will require a recompile. And in fact the memory sticks on a
27 solaris OS, so not useful there anyway. But useful on my linux
28 boxes. thanks.