From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] TPM feature - do I need it?
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 03:21:24
1 On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 6:44 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Thanks Rich, it seems not all modern MoBos have it. This doesn't:
6 Interesting, I had really thought they were ubiquitous.
9 > If I enable this TPM thing, do I automatically open ports at pre/post-boot
10 > time giving access to my machine? Or is remote attestation something I have a
11 > say over?
14 It has to be implemented in software. The only thing the chip does is
15 let software call it and ask it to sign data. The chip can't talk to
16 the network on its own.
17
18 Remote attestation doesn't actually give anybody access to your
19 machine. Now, it does let you prove to somebody that they actually do
20 have access to your machine, if you installed software that gave them
21 access. Suppose I gave you a piece of software and asked you to
22 install it on your machine so that I could evesdrop on everything you
23 do. If you refuse to do it I'll fire you from your job. Without
24 remote attestation you could install that software in a VM or emulator
25 somewhere and tell me you complied, and it would be impossible for me
26 to tell that you did this if your VM was well-implemented. On the
27 other hand, if my software implemented remote attestation then the
28 best you could do is block it, in which case I brand you as
29 non-compliant and fire you. With remote attestation I could get a
30 list of the boot path from the firmware to my software and see if
31 there is anything in it that could tamper with my software. If I
32 dictate that you have to run TrustedCo Linux v5 then I could see that
33 you're running an unpatched version of it and know that my process is
34 directly talking to the kernel, which I know doesn't let you tamper
35 with it, and that kernel is directly running on the hardware having
36 been loaded by a trusted firmware/bootloader.
37
38 > Also, what happens if the TPM chip, or the whole MoBo blows up? Will I ever
39 > be able to access my data using another PC?
40
41 Only if you encrypted it. A TPM chip doesn't do much more than except
42 store and retrieve data, and digitally sign things. It just tends to
43 be used in a way that greatly limits the ability of arbitrary
44 processes to access the data stored on the chip.
45
46 With Linux you're basically completely in control. You choose to
47 encrypt your drive and store the key in the TPM, and you instruct the
48 TPM to only hand it over under the conditions you specify, such as a
49 particular bootloader, kernel, and initramfs (or something like that -
50 I've never implemented it myself). If somebody tries to boot your
51 system with some other kernel/bootloader/initramfs then the TPM will
52 not have the valid signature chain and it will refuse to divulge your
53 full-disk encryption key. I imagine that you could generate the key
54 outside the TPM and keep a copy of it somewhere and load it into the
55 TPM, so that if you mess up you can just mount it manually.
56
57 It is a bit like UEFI - if you use it properly it becomes a tool which
58 allows the device owner to secure his own device against other
59 intruders. The problems only come when people want to treat your
60 device as if it is their device. With Linux you control almost all of
61 it, though I would GREATLY prefer it if TPM chips did not come with
62 vendor-supplied certificates (that is, if there was no way for anybody
63 to determine if the master key inside was externally loaded by the end
64 user or not). If they didn't come pre-loaded with certificates then
65 they would be just as usable for securing your own machine (since you
66 could add your own certificate/etc), but they would be useless for DRM
67 (since no key was ever in the chip at a time when it was in the
68 possession of somebody trusted by the media companies).
69
70 I also don't have much more than a general interest in this area, so
71 I'm sure there are some fine details above which are inaccurate. The
72 gist of it should be right though.
75 Rich