From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: martian source with unknown IP and MAC
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 03:21:56
1 Grant <emailgrant <at> gmail.com> writes:
2
3 > I received a suspicious prompt while browsing a financial account of mine
4 on my laptop so I restarted my modem but did not DHCP to it.  I immediately
5 received a series of type 08 00 martian sources logged to dmesg on my laptop
6 from a 10.x.x.x source while my local network runs on 192.168.x.x only, and
7 the logged MAC address does not match that of any systems on my LAN
8 including the modem and I don't run wifi.  Is that martian source suspicious?
9
10 Always. But it could be a benign or mangled packet. Hard to tell
11 without deeper analysis
14 This might help [1]. As well as RFC 1812 [2]
15
16 Post back if needed. [3]
17
18 hth,