From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Qustions re Dell M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drives under Gentoo
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2021 00:19:58
1 On 3/6/21 4:52 am, antlists wrote:
2 > On 28/05/2021 17:17, Walter Dnes wrote:
3 >>> Anything with spinning disk "is obsolete" they are trying to give it
4 >>> way because nobody is buying them (you can buy them for few dollars),
5 >>> don't expect it to last long.
6 >>
7 >>    I've never had a hard drive fail on me.  That includes a 2008 core2
8 >> duo that I shut down last autumn.  Web surfing was getting painfully
9 >> slow, and really large spreadsheets were dying in 3 gigabytes of ram,
10 >> but otherwise it still worked.  256 G SSD is not enough for me now.
11 >> That takes us into 512 G SSD territory, which will be "adequate" for
12 >> now, but who knows about my future needs.
13 >>
14 > I've recovered (or tried to) drives for other people, but again I've
15 > been lucky in that I've never lost one of my own drives.
16 >
17 > ...
18 >
19 > I'm planning to buy one of those shingled horrors - a Seagate BaraCuda
20 > 12TB - for backups. Use btrfs or LVM, and rsync in-place copy. A good
21 > idea in any case, but probably an even better idea if your main
22 > storage is SSD.
23 >
24 > Cheers,
25 > Wol
28 Bounght a 4Tb usb3 backup drive that contains an SMR baracuda - took
29 quite a few days to transfer the 2Tb from its predecessor. Backup
30 (Borgbackup on btrfs) is quite fast with small changes between backup
31 sets - miserably slow otherwise.  I am still in two minds if SMR is
32 usable (i.e., will finish before the next run is due!) in my scenario.
33
34 BillK