From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why iwconfig wlan0 enc can't work?
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 14:09:23
1 On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 10:03 AM, Lavender <448463782@××.com> wrote:
2 > The essid of my dormitory wireless netword is "Rebellion"
3 > and its password is "I'll leave it up to you"(It's OK to tell
4 > you this private information :-) ) .
5 > I typed command below
6 > #iwconfig wlan0 up
7 > #iwconfig wlan0 essid "Rebellion"
8 > Commands above worked normally, then
9 >
10 > #iwconfig wlan0 mode master
11 >
12 > Our AP mode which iwlist shows is master,
13 > but the command above failed. Error message was
14 > "Invalid argument".
15 > Then I typed
16 > #iwconfig wlan0 mode managed
17 > This worked , then
18 > #iwconfig wlan0 enc "I'll leave it up to you"
19 > This failed with error message "Invalid argument"
20 >
21 > I have searched the internet , but I didn't find
22 > useful information .  The password is right , it
23 > can work on windows system .So what's wrong
24 > with it?
25
26 What encryption method is used by the AP? The method you described
27 only kinda works for WEP. If the AP is using WPA or WPA2, you need a
28 WPA supplicant.
31 :wq