From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Removing excessive stuff from profile
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 09:14:51
1 On 13/07/2013 06:49, Andrew Lowe wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 > I have recently purchased a cubieboard:
4 >
5 > http://cubieboard.org/
6 >
7 > which is an ARM device with SATA. It is going to become a low power
8 > media server. I have followed the instructions on getting Gentoo onto it
9 > as outlined here:
10 >
11 > pluto7777.blogspot.com.au Monday March 18, 2013
12 >
13 > I get a working system up and happening when I do the first boot. I then
14 > do the profile selection as listed but there are no server profiles, all
15 > basically desktop orientated. I chose 27 as suggested but when I do the
16 >
17 > emerge --pretend -NuD world
18 >
19 > I get an emerge that has over 250 items and includes things such as
20 > cups, libraries for image viewing etc etc, all stuff fine for a desktop
21 > but just additional stuff that my little server won't need.
22 >
23 > So my question is, what files do I have to fiddle to stop portage
24 > from wanting to install all of these additional files? I've looked in
25 > the world file and there is basically nothing there so I'm guessing it's
26 > in the profile somewhere - but just where?
29 At this point in the process, world is indeed empty or nearly empty,
30 nothing wrong with that.
31
32 profile definitions are in /var/portage/profiles, the one you are using
33 is the /etc/portage/make.conf symlink[1]
34
35 If you examine the files in those directories, you'll quickly see how
36 it's constructed - it's a tree structure, files have parents and have
37 entries to add and remove things. If you *really* want to, you can
38 define new profiles for yourself and store them anywhere convenient, as
39 a profile is really just some date files and pointers to other data
40 files. man 5 portage gives further details on what can be in each type
41 of file (type is indicated by name).
42
43 There are no more "server" profiles as such, that idea is deprecated.
44 Nowadays we have base profiles instead, like
45 default/linux/amd64/13.0
46 and desktop variants like
47 default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop
50 It's most likely you have most desktop features enabled. Two approaches:
51
52 - Post the output of "eselect profile list" run as root
53 - Post the output of "emerge --info" | grep USE
58 [1] On your system the profiles might be in /usr/portage/profiles and
59 the symlink might be /etc/make.profile.
63 Alan McKinnon
64 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com