From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Update of live ebuilds
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2011 12:55:23
1 On Sun 07 August 2011 14:46:41 Natanael Olaiz did opine thusly:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > Someone knows a way to check for live ebuilds updates availability?
5 >
6 > When upgrading my system, if I just do an 'emerge -u' that doesn't
7 > include possible updates in live ebuilds. Then I need to force a
8 > reinstallation of live ebuilds, that probably have no updates,
9 > resulting a waste of time, or either do the repositories updates by
10 > hand (for instance 'svn up') in the src dir, to decide if I need to
11 > reinstall the ebuild..
12 >
13 > I'd just found this thread about it:
14 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-518701-postdays-0-postorder-asc
15 > -start-0.html
16 >
17 > But I was wondering: there is no other way/tool included in gentoo
18 > to do this?
19
20 There is no tool to do this that I know of.
21
22 Regular ebuilds ( not -9999 versions) use release versions that do not
23 change, so working out the deps and changes is easy.
24
25 Live ebuilds by definition do not have versions, they only have
26 "whatever is in the tree right now". Commit numbers do not really
27 qualify as version numbers.
28
29 If you were a developer working on those projects you are using live
30 ebuilds for, you would know what has been updated recently and use
31 your brain smarts to figure out what to rebuild. or (as most do) you
32 would just rebuild the whole lot almost every day anyway.
33
34 By using live ebuilds you implicitly have given up the ability to have
35 version number tracking and have agreed to do it all yourself. It's
36 something you are just going to have to deal with, or downgrade back
37 to released versions.
41 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com