From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] raid1 + lvm2
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 15:43:59
1 On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 10:37:58 +0100, Jarry wrote:
2
3 > I'm going to re-install gentoo on a small hobby-server and because
4 > I need both redundancy and flexibility, I thought in addition to
5 > raid1 (2x 160GB ata-disk) this time I would also use lvm2:
6 >
7 > /dev/md0 /boot (~50MB)
8 > /dev/md1 / (2GB)
9 > /dev/md2 <swap> (2GB)
10 > /dev/md3 lvm2 (rest for /var /tmp /usr /opt /chroot /home)
11
12 I've been running a similar setup for 18 months, it works well.
13
14 > Is this generaly advisable solution (lvm2 over raid1), or is there
15 > some risk in using raid1 together with lvm2 ?
16
17 Not that I've heard of or discovered.
18
19 > One more question concerning partition type:
20 > If I want to use raid1, I have to set all those 2x4 (hda+hdc) primary
21 > partitions as type fd (raid autodetect). Is it not problem later for
22 > lvm2 when preparing and creating volume-group? Because lvm-guide says
23 > something about setting partition type to 8e (linux lvm), which I can
24 > not do, if I want to use raid1...
25
26 The disk partitions should be set to type fd, because they are RAID
27 partitions. LVM is running on the RAID array, not directly on the
28 partitions, so it doesn't have a problem with this.
32 Neil Bothwick
33
34 What animal & what bit?