From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USB3 external storage HD's
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 14:24:25
1 On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 8:49 AM, <thelma@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 01/19/2018 02:30 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 >> On Thursday, 18 January 2018 18:45:41 GMT Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 >>> On 18/01/18 20:33, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
5 >>>> Do those External Storage work with Linux (USB3)?
6 >>>> I don't want to install any ventor-software, I just want one that plugs
7 >>>> and play.
8 >>>>
9 >>>> Any recommendations?
10 >>>
11 >>> My USB 3 stick works fine, at its full advertised speed (190MB/s read,
12 >>> 100MB/s write.) So an HD should work fine though. There's no third-party
13 >>> drivers needed.
14 >>
15 >> I've been using two bog-standard USB-3 Seagate expansion drives for a couple
16 >> of years. They're for whole-system backups of my Gentoo boxes, so they
17 >> aren't exactly heavily stressed. I haven't measured their speeds, but
18 >> they're much faster than the USB-2 drives I had before them.
19 >
20 > Maybe SSD would perform better, but they are not cheap.
23 Usually you want larger-scale external storage for things like
24 backup/archival, and those don't demand low latency. A spinning disk
25 has just as much sequential transfer speed as an SSD, and that is
26 probably what you're using it for.
27
28 I personally use 3.5" hard drives for external storage with a USB3
29 "enclosure" (more like a port multiplier - the disks just stick out of
30 it). USB3 can keep up with the data rates on 1-2 hard drives, and
31 these kinds of enclosures are dirt cheap anyway. I find it useful for
32 things like archives, wiping drives, and also swapping drives (I can
33 swap a RAID drive with one in the enclosure easily without taking the
34 box apart, and then I can swap the physical drive location at my
35 convenience to free up the enclosure). For archival I tend to use old
36 drives that I've otherwise outgrown and I just put them in RAID pairs.
37 Occasionally I dust them off and scrub them. This is all just
38 personal data that often is in multiple places (encrypted S3, etc), so
39 I don't mind being casual. Tapes would be a more rigorous solution
40 but at my scale the hardware is just way too expensive to justify.
43 Rich