From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM for data drives but not the OS
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 13:02:15
1 Joost Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Friday 08 April 2011 16:30:03 Dale wrote:
5 >> The naming I was talking about was sort of like a label. I wanted to
6 >> use test, where I might use say data in real use, but ended up with this:
7 >>
8 >> root@fireball / # df
9 >> Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
10 >> << SNIP>>
11 >> /dev/mapper/sdb--vg-test
12 >> 51606140 184268 48800432 1% /mnt/temp
13 >> root@fireball / #
14 >>
15 >> I don't mind the sdb--vg part tho. I guess that sort of points to what
16 >> all is needed to get to that point. Might come in handy if I needed to
17 >> remove something tho. Sort of tells me what is what.
18 >>
19 > True :)
20 > I tend to start my VGs with "vg_<something>". That way I know what they're
21 > for.
22 > Also, it's a good idea to not name them "vg" as then you can get naming
23 > conflicts if you ever put the drive into another machine that also has a VG
24 > called that.
25 >
26 > As example for the way I name them:
27 > vg_<hostname>.
28 > On my server, I actually have 2 Volume Groups. One for the OS-parts (including
29 > VMs) and the other for the data.
33 I wish it was like file system labels but I guess any clues is better
34 than nothing.
37 >> I did try to mount it before putting a file system on it. I sort of
38 >> missed that part somewhere. I knew it needed it, just forgot to do it.
39 >> Mount sort of puked on my keyboard to remind me. lol
40 >>
41 > Hehe :)
42 > I forget as well sometimes.
45 >> Whew !! Progress. Oh, someone posted a link to a site that had
46 >> pictures. That helped a good bit. It needed more detail tho. I'm
47 >> going to do some google image searches and see what I can find.
48 >>
49 > I think I posted more then 1 link, actually :)
52 >> Thanks much.
53 >>
54 > You're welcome
55 >
56 > --
57 > Joost
60 You did. I think a couple of them had some pictures to but google image
61 search found some more that helped. Of course, reading the commands to
62 see how they work helped too. I just needed a picture to see how this
63 was built up.
64
65 I learned a lot in the past couple days. Still don't want my OS on it
66 tho. ;-)
67
68 Dale
69