From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev-181 and kmod vs module-init-tools
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 19:34:21
1 On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 11:46 AM, Hinnerk van Bruinehsen
2 <h.v.bruinehsen@×××××××××.de> wrote:
3 > it worked flawless for me. Nothing "bad" happened.
4 > If it's a server you could also build a monolithic Kernel and remove
5 > the dependency completly since most servers don't need loadable
6 > modules. It even adds a little security-wise...
7
8 Thanks... I tried it, but didn't reboot yet. I was going to upgrade
9 kernel at the same time, it tells me this during "make install" phase:
10
11 DEPMOD 3.2.11-gentoo
12 Warning: you may need to install module-init-tools
13 See http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/docs/post-halloween-2.6.txt
14
15 But looking in the scripts seems the test is not valid for kmod:
16
17 if ! "$DEPMOD" -V 2>/dev/null | grep -q module-init-tools; then
18 echo "Warning: you may need to install module-init-tools" >&2
19 echo "See http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/docs/post-halloween-2.6.txt" >&2
20 sleep 1
21 fi
22
23 so I think it's a false alarm.
24
25 Now I just found
26 http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.modules/659 this seems to
27 confirm it. And of course while I was compiling, the new kernel 3.3
28 has showed up in portage, with this problem fixed. :)
29
30 Now I'm rebooting, watching ping replied, fingers crossed... it's
31 alive! Success. :)
32
33 Thanks,
34 Paul