From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: To be mesa or not to be mesa...
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 03:41:11
1 On 06/25/2009 05:51 AM, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > short question:
5 > I am using an nvidia graphics card GeForce (7600 GT (rev a2)) with
6 > the nvidia drivers.
7 > Do I need mesa to be installed (I am heavily using OpenGL with
8 > Blender...)
9
10 You only need mesa if portage tells you so. In other words, most
11 probably yes, since it's an important dependency of many packages. If
12 however on your system it happens not to be a dependency of anything,
13 then you don't need it.
14
15 To check, simply edit /var/lib/portage/world and delete the line
16
17 media-libs/mesa
18
19 if it exists. If "emerge -p --depclean" wants to unmerge mesa, then you
20 don't need it. Just make sure to run revdep-rebuild afterwards to make
21 sure to packages were broken by this.