From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSDs with TRIM issues
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 19:16:24
1 On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 10:24 PM, Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > /* devices that don't properly handle queued TRIM commands */
3 > Micron_M500*
4 > Crucial_CT*M500*
5 > Micron_M5[15]0*
6 > Crucial_CT*M550*
7 > Crucial_CT*MX100*
8 > Samsung SSD 8*
11 As somebody pointed out on Slashdot, this is basically all the models
12 that otherwise seem to perform really well.
13
14 The flip side of this is that nobody can really say that other models
15 of drives aren't on the list because they actually work, vs not being
16 on the list because nobody has bothered to test them extensively
17 enough to detect a problem.
18
19 Also, I believe they're trying to be conservative with the
20 black-listing. There could very well be drives that aren't affected
21 that match these patterns, and I believe this is supposed to get
22 sorted out once the drive vendors get their acts together.
23
24 Also, I don't know which stable kernels have the blacklist. It
25 doesn't look like this list is in 3.18.14 which is the most recent
26 longterm in Gentoo (3.18.15 is out but not yet in gentoo-sources). I
27 went ahead and disabled fstrim and discard in the meantime.
31 Rich