From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Council vs Umbrella Corp ?
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2020 23:01:21
1 On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 6:47 PM james <garftd@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 8/29/20 4:49 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >
5 > Perhaps a read only mechanism could publish all of that financial data?
6 > Perhaps timely data entry, should be a requirement?
7
8 As part of the cleanup Robin has published a fair bit of this stuff on
9 the Foundation wiki (on the Gentoo wiki). I'd encourage those
10 interested to browse.
11
12 The stuff that is private (account nos, payees, etc) is in an
13 infra-hosted private git repo. That is actually a big improvement
14 because a lot of the problems came from it being in a box at
15 somebody's home for a number of years, which made it hard to tell what
16 was going on, and without going into details we'll just say that
17 reports were not always accurate.
18
19 > Can/will you summarize the collective reason to get rid of the
20 > Foundation or any other component of Gentoo management? If they are not
21 > being paid, why the rush to terminate?
22
23 So, mgorny outlined a lot of that on the blog. The concern is that
24 we've finally gotten to a clean state, and now we ought to figure out
25 where we're going while we're STILL in a clean state.
26
27 Otherwise our bus factor is pretty low before things start slipping
28 again, and if we get out of compliance then changing things will be
29 harder.
30
31 > Are there resources for access to those discussions, meeting minutes
32 > notes and such? Audio recording of meetings or some sort of summary?
33
34 Just about everything is on the Foundation wiki pages, or the -nfp
35 list (which is archived). I recommend browsing the recent history if
36 you're interested - it is a very low-traffic list. Discussions on the
37 fate of the Foundation can be a bit noisy, but you can just skip any
38 really long threads if you're looking for more housekeeping stuff.
39 The Trustee meeting minutes on the wiki is where much of the meat is,
40 though the community discussion leading up to decisions tends to be on
41 the lists.
42
43 > Redundancy, is a key component of most all of computer science. Trust,
44 > but verify, is another fundamental tenant. If your want formal
45 > references, its under the blanket term of 'Fault Tolerance'. I write
46 > this for the benefit of all readers.
47
48 This is what I'm really getting at. And really this is what I mean by
49 cloud. I don't mean moving everything from a non-replicated infra to
50 a non-replicated single cloud provider. I mean trying to move to more
51 distributed technologies so that we can be replicated on many
52 providers, which could be cloud or individually hosted or whatever.
53
54 Unfortunately while this is very straightforward for git it isn't so
55 straightforward for a lot of other stuff, in particular bugzilla.
56
57 I trimmed down the reply quite a bit because much of what you asked
58 about is largely already discussed or I don't have much to add. There
59 are pros and cons to all the options and I don't think anybody
60 questions that. This is part of why we're in analysis paralysis.
63 Rich