From: Mike Mazur <mmazur@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Changing xorg.conf at runtime (nVidia cards)
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 14:35:06
1 Hello,
2
3 I have an nVidia card, and I can use the NVIDIA X Server Settings app
4 to dynamically detect and configure displays I connect to my laptop.
5 When I'm done with the configuration, I simply apply it, and keep on
6 truckin' without having to restart X.
7
8 Doing this manually each time I connect/disconnect an external display
9 can get tiresome. I can generate an xorg.conf for each setup I
10 frequently use (ie: different monitors at work/home, no monitor on the
11 go), but that means restarting X when the display configuration
12 changes. This can be undesirable if I just want to move from my desk
13 to the living room.
14
15 I'd like to run a single command, passing it one of my xorg.conf files
16 (for instance), and have my screens configured on-the-fly. I looked at
17 the command-line options for nvidia-settings and nvidia-xconfig but
18 they don't seem to do what I want. I also looked at XRandR but I'm not
19 sure what's the best way forward.
20
21 Does anyone have something like this already set up? What did you use?
22 Will these nvidia tools do what I need or should I look to XRandR? How
23 do I get started with setting up XRandR?
24
25 Thanks!
26 Mike