From: kwkhui@××××.net
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Not able to login as root after update
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 03:01:49
1 On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 07:17:45 +0530
2 Nilesh Govindrajan <contact@××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > There's some weird problem that has cropped up after update yesterday.
7 > I'm not able to login as root on the tty nor as su -l and neither
8 > using sudo su -l. Thankfully I had sudo, so I can get root by sudo -i,
9 > or else it would've been a complete disaster.
10 >
11 > The packages which were upgraded yesterday which can be causing this
12 > is pambase, shadow and glibc.
13 >
14 > Anybody has idea how to fix this?
15 >
16 > (PS: I know very well that logging in as root is a bad practice and I
17 > never do that, I just use su -l, so no flames please).
20 If you mean shadow-4.1.5-r1 and pambase-20120417, read the previous
21 pambase/shadow warning thread from 3 days ago, or bug #412721, or you
22 can read it on phajdan.jr's blog
23
24 http://phajdan-jr.blogspot.com/2012/04/watch-out-for-shadow-415-r1-and-pambase.html
25
26 Anyway, if you upgrade glibc, you must recompile pam
27 afterwards manually (sorry it wasn't clear if you recompiled pam after
28 glibc upgrade) since it uses dlopen() which isn't catched by
29 revdep-rebuild. Safest is to recompile the toolchain, then system, then
30 world, but that could take a long time.
31
32 Kerwin.