From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CPU upgrade and LVM questions.
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2018 21:03:16
1 On 12/06/2018 02:27 AM, Dale wrote:
2 > From what I've read, I can use pvmove and pvremove to replace that drive.
3 > Just tell pv to move the data and when done, remove the old drive. After
4 > that, the new 6TB drive will be used in that PV and the 3TB drive can
5 > be used for something else. Is it really that easy or is there more to
6 > it than that? Pardon me but that doesn't sound complicated enough to me.
7
8 I've migrated multiple hundreds of TB of data this way.
9
10 In short:
11
12 1) Partition the new drive(s) as desired.
13 2) pvcreate /dev/$newPv
14 3) vgextend $vgName /dev/$newPv
15 4) pvmove /dev/$oldPv /dev/$newPv
16 5) vgreduce $vgName /dev/$oldPv
17 6) pvremove /dev/$oldPv
18
19 This does work well, even if the LV(s) are in use / file system(s) are
20 mounted.
21
22 I have occasionally had issues where the system seems to not respond,
23 despite the fact that it is doing what it's supposed to. I wonder if
24 it's related to the memory leak that J. Roeleveld was talking about.
25
26 Note: I /do/ *STRONGLY* recommend that you do partition the new drive
27 and /not/ pvcreate the entire drive. — Many of the data recovery tools
28 /expect/ there to be a partition table. Those that don't care are happy
29 to work with a partition table. I've seen others be in a very
30 uncomfortable situation when they /didn't/ use a partition table.
31 Simple easy thing to avoid painting yourself into a corner.
36 Grant. . . .
37 unix || die