From: Caveman Al Toraboran <toraboracaveman@××××××××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: mail cannot send emails (trying to use it with smartd)
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2020 06:42:55
1 On Thursday, April 2, 2020 6:18 PM, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Nullmailer is also a good option with the added bonus of queueing
4 > outbound mail while you're offline.:
5
6 nullmailer is now configured, and test with `echo "Subject: ..." | sendmail -v
7 me@×××.com` works. but, smartd's test mail is not working, with this error:
8
9 Apr 03 10:15:09 blah smartd[219171]: Test of <mail> to me@×××.com produced unexpected output (65 bytes) to STDOUT/STDERR:
10 Apr 03 10:15:09 blah smartd[219171]: mail: cannot send message: Process exited with a non-zero status
11 Apr 03 10:15:09 blah smartd[219171]: Test of <mail> to me@×××.com: failed (32-bit/8-bit exit status: 9216/36)
12
13 tried to test `mail` in isolation:
14
15 echo "test body" | mail -s "test subj" me@×××.com --debug-level=3
16 mail: sendmail binary: /usr/sbin/sendmail
17 mail: source=system, name=me, passwd=x, uid=1000, gid=1000, gecos=, dir=/home/me, shell=/bin/fish, mailbox=.maildir, quota=0, change_uid=1
18 mail: source=system, name=me, passwd=x, uid=1000, gid=1000, gecos=, dir=/home/me, shell=/bin/fish, mailbox=.maildir, quota=0, change_uid=1
19 mail: mu_mailer_send_message(): using From: me@localhost
20 mail: Sending headers...
21 mail: Sending body...
22 mail: /usr/sbin/sendmail exited with: 1
23 mail: progmailer error: Process exited with a non-zero status
24 mail: cannot send message: Process exited with a non-zero status
25 mail: source=system, name=me, passwd=x, uid=1000, gid=1000, gecos=, dir=/home/me, shell=/bin/fish, mailbox=.maildir, quota=0, change_uid=1
26
27 i've also monitored `watch -n .1 tree /var/spool/nullmailer/` and verified that
28 the queue never gets filled with any message when i use the `mail` command
29 (which, i think, is what `smartd` uses). but, the queues get filled when i
30 used `sendmail` by the command in my 1st paragraph.
31
32 <side note about nullmailer>
33 i like the queue functionality, so it is definitely more suitable for me
34 than ssmtp. but i'm disappointed that it requires the service nullmailer
35 to be running all the time. it should -imo- run in a triggered way upon
36 calling sendmail, and should run once at bootup just to check if queue is
37 not empty. and, if it runs, and is unable to empty the queue (e.g. due to
38 no network availability) then it shall remain running until the network is
39 back and the queue is empty. but, currently, it seems that the null mailer
40 is just always running. disappoint!
41 </side note about nullmailer>