From: Sean <rsh.lists@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Alternative Window Managers
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:30:51
1 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
2 > I'm wanting to experiment with some alternative window managers. I've
3 > already emerged them, but I'd like to have them available as separate
4 > sessions when I log in, and possibly migrate to one of them as default (or
5 > only) session available.
6 >
7 > I've only used KDE and Gnome in the past, and they are very polished, at
8 > least in the aspect that they automatically are added as alternative
9 > sessions. I know we have some alternative window manager users around, so
10 > I figured this would be the best place to ask how to set these alternative
11 > window managers up in Gentoo.
12 >
13 > I have a couple of boxen, one that uses gdm and one that uses kdm. It
14 > would be nice if the instructions were portable between both of these X
15 > login managers, but I'm fairly confident that I can use instructions for
16 > either one to set up the other.
17 >
18 > For anyone interested in what WMs I'm trying out:
19 > x11-wm/ratpoison
20 > x11-wm/ion3
21 > x11-wm/wmii
22 >
23 > I also might try out StumpWM at some point, but I couldn't find an ebuild
24 > for it in the current portage tree.
25 >
26 > I'm a big fan of both Lisp and GNU-Screen, so these window managers
27 > intrigued me.
30 I wound up in the same kind of mood as you and in my searching any
31 playing I have settled on WindowMaker for some time now, and currently
32 plan to stay.
33 A bit different in approach and that is what caught my attention.
34
35 http://www.windowmaker.org/
36 --
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list