From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 32GB RAM and Swap
Date: Sat, 02 May 2020 14:12:24
1 I am afraid this is an ".. it depends" question.
2
3 If you work with large images or data sets, swap can be really handy.
4 If you are doing a little programming, web browsing, reading email you
5 will *probably* be ok, but why risk it?
6
7 I have a 32gb ram in a master server for an mfs filesystem - it normally
8 sits at about 5GB of ram - however it can go well over 32Gb into swap at
9 times - the first machine I tried it with only had 4gb ram and crashed
10 when it filled the ram, and 8g swap taking the test file system with it
11 - its now production so I am not going to risk it by underprovisioning
12 swap.  My 32Gb desktop is not using any swap at the moment ... but it
13 has used it at times.
14
15 So, yes its quite likely you wont use swap - but if you do something
16 that needs it, it can help avoid a very messy crash.
17
18 Swap is slow, but if you actually need it - its probably critical that
19 you have it!  Unless you are really short of disk space, treat it as
20 insurance :)
21
22 Look into using swapfiles instead of partitions for flexibility, and the
23 sysctl values of "vm.swappiness" and "vm.vfs_cache_pressure" to manage
24 swap usage (you can set to not use swap until it really has to - some
25 have seen the kernel being too eager to swap out causing slowdowns,
26 though you can make it go in the other direction and "thrash" when it
27 actually needs to use swap if you go to far.  The default kernel swap
28 mechanism isn't really that bad!
29
30 So yes, most of my machines don't need swap *right now* and swap looks
31 like its not being used so it could be removed, but I cant guarantee
32 that they never will, and having years of experience using swap I
33 recommend that its better to be cautious and survive :)
34
35 BillK