From: "Miroslav Flídr" <flidr@×××××××.cz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] usb storage transfer is very slow
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 06:16:40
1 Michal Kurgan napsal(a):
2 > Recently i spotted that my usb flash memory work very slow, about 5kB/s on
3 > write. On internet search i discover that it's problem with new kernel
4 > (2.6.12) and "sync" mount option, that is now correctly(?) respected by fat
5 > filesystem.
6 > This is my case, but i want to have sth like sync when using removable
7 > devices, is there any option to do this? I much prefer that i see that sth is
8 > copied, not only then when i will try unmount device (in this case i don't
9 > know if there are any problems, earlier with sync i saw transfer rate, and
10 > this is what i want)
11
12 This behaviour is caused by change in the vfat driver. It now respects
13 the sync option and the slow speed is caused by frequent updating of the
14 FAT table. Some info can be found here:
15 http://readlist.com/lists/vger.kernel.org/linux-kernel/22/111748.html
16
17 The only solution seem to be to use the async option.
20 Miroslav Flídr
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list