From: Jesse Hannah <jesse.hannah@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] gcc upgrade and Portage questions
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 20:29:40
1 1. Has anyone noticed if programs compiled with the latest gcc (4.1.1, I
2 believe) are any faster than those compiled with 3.4.6-r1? Also, is there any
3 difference in the required time to compile? Any other issues I should know
4 about with upgrading from 3.4.6-r1 to 4.1.1? (I use a pre-Prescott P4
5 3000MHz, so it'd be nice if anyone had information for that or a comparable
6 architecture.)
7
8 2. If I want to upgrade and rebuild my entire system (using a new gcc), is:
9 emerge -u gcc
10 emerge -e world
11 the right thing to do? Am I missing anything there?
12
13 (Note: if it makes any difference, I have ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" set in
14 my /etc/make.conf. Any problems this could cause?)
15 --
16 Jesse Hannah
17
18 Homepage: <http://everstar.hostultra.com/>
19 IRC Nick: FlakPenguin@Freenode
20 GPG Key: 0x78F156E7
21 Available on the keyservers (search the key or for "Jedi Web-Penguin")
22 or from <http://everstar.hostultra.com/jesse.asc>