From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How should I kill a daemon from an ebuild file?
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 13:53:54
1 On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 14:54 +0200, Jules Colding wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I have an ebuild (see below) for a small keyring daemon. I would like
6 > kill the daemon process, if it is running, whenever it is emerged
7 > again
8 > to ensure that no running daemon process refers to an old install.
9 >
10 > Is there a clean and recommended way of doing this in an ebuild or
11 > should I just use killall in pkg_postinst()?
12
13 You might wanna check the -dev mailing list to be sure, but I'm almost
14 certain that they'll tell you this is a no-no. Generally speaking
15 ebuilds should build/install packages and not affect the system in ways
16 like starting/killing processes. A simple ELOG message is the preferred
17 method.
18
19 Nevertheless, the -dev list is probably the better forum to answer your
20 question.
23 Albert W. Hopkins
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list