From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Documentation of and utilities to manipulate console fonts?
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2015 19:06:44
1 Hello, again.
2
3 On Wed, Jun 03, 2015 at 03:40:17PM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
4 > Hello, Gentoo.
5
6 > Recently, in another software project, somebody wants to replace the
7 > ASCII quoting characters ", `, ' with curly unicode quoting characters.
8 > I'm not in favour of this, but I'll probably be losing the argument.
9
10 > So I need a font which can display these characters. Not an X-windows
11 > GUI font, but a console font. There doesn't seem to be a suitable one
12 > in /usr/share/consolefonts, so I'll probably have to modify an existing
13 > one to make a new one.
14
15 > Relevant to the discussion is the program "setfont". It's man page
16 > describes in general terms what is contained in a font file like
17 > /usr/share/consolefonts/lat1-16.psfu.gz, but not its exact format, nor
18 > where to look to find this description. I haven't found anything useful
19 > in the kernel Documentation tree, yet.
20
21 > This documentation must surely exist somewhere. Does anybody here know
22 > where? Additionally, there must be utilities for manipulating these
23 > fonts. Does anybody here know what any of these utilities are called?
24
25 > Many thanks for the help!
26
27 I've found media-gfx/psftools, which seems to do what I want.
30 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).