From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Installing Gentoo from another Linux distro
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 10:45:03
1 I'm getting ready for a remote Gentoo install. I'd like to avoid any
2 sort of CD/USB/floppy usage. I can select a variety of different
3 distros to be preinstalled on the system. Can I end up with the same
4 Gentoo system installing from another distro as I can from a LiveCD?
5 I've read over:
6
7 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml#doc_chap5
8
9 and it sounds like I may not be able to end up with one big root
10 partition like this:
11
12 Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
13 /dev/sda1 1 5 40131 83 Linux
14 /dev/sda2 6 68 506047+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
15 /dev/sda3 69 19457 155742142+ 83 Linux
16
17 If the preinstalled distro has a partition table like this, I won't be
18 able to make a separate partition for Gentoo. If the preinstalled
19 distro has separate large partitions, I will be able to install Gentoo
20 on one of the partitions, but I won't ever be able to set up a
21 partition table like the above with one big root partition.
22
23 Is that correct or do I have this all wrong?
24
25 - Grant