From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge @ world -> @preserved-rebuild -> @preserved-rebuild -> what next?
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 23:00:35
1 On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 14:19:26 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 >> I agree that we want to be in agreement but then what are our options
5 >> if emerge @preserved-rebuild goes into an endless loop as it seems it
6 >> was doing yesterday?
7 >
8 > Was it an endless loop? AIUI you emerged twice and the @preserved-rebuild
9 > count decreased. In my experience, it can occasionally take a few runs to
10 > clear the list, sometimes subsequent runs add packages that were not
11 > there previously, but it all clears in the end, I have NEVER had to
12 > resort to deleting the registry file manually.
15 > --
16 > Neil Bothwick
17
18 If I don't run it forever then I don't think I can say it would never
19 clear up. Can't prove a negative, etc.
20
21 However, it did get to the point where it was complaining about two
22 packages and the number of files to be rebuilt went (IIRC) 52, 50, 50,
23 so I decide since it was rebuilding 50 packages the 2nd & 3rd times it
24 wasn't going to improve. Might not be true though.
25
26 - Mark