From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Who believes in cylinders?
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 16:55:12
1 On 02/26/2010 06:23 PM, BRM wrote:
2 > ----- Original Message ----
3 >
4 >> From: Mark Knecht<markknecht@×××××.com>
5 >> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 4:09 PM, walt wrote:
6 >>> Is there really any need for the "cylinder" these days?
7
8 >> Who cares what cylinder it's on, and
9 >> who cares which head is getting the data? It doesn't matter to us
10 >> users...
11
12 > ...Boot Loader writers (e.g. grub) need to care about it since LBA
13 > is not quite available right away - you have to focus on other things
14 > until you can load the rest of the boot loader.
15
16 Ah, this may be a big part of what's confusing me because I've done a
17 lot of playing around with grub.
18
19 At what point *does* LBA become available, and who makes it available?
20 Is this one of those stupid BIOS things?